Please register to submit items for the Stradbroke Village Archive.
Show Menu

Browse Items: 15

Mid Suffolk Railway staff

This photo was taken in the late 40s or early 50s
The gentleman third from the right is Driver Clifford Bloom

Engine Driver Clifford Bloom's last payslip.

Engine Driver Clifford Bloom's last payslip.

Driver Clifford Bloom at the engine controls.

Driver Clifford Bloom at the controls.

Born 23rd March 1885, he drove the evening train from Haughley on 21st March 1951 and on reaching Laxfield he collapsed and was taken home. Sadly he died the next day, just a day before his birthday

Steam Engine 'Elizabeth' with Jack Larter.

Steam Engine 'Elizabeth' with Jack Larter returns for a visit. The Engine was a working engine in Stradbroke for Herbert Hawes for 20years until 1952 when Mr Hawes died.

Steam Engine

Steam Engine

Dodge fire engine at the door

Dodge fire engine at the door

Fred Copping in front of the Dodge fire engine

Fred Copping in front of the Dodge fire engine

Fred Copping and the Dodge engine

Fred Copping and the Dodge engine

Fire Service - Dennis engine - Webb photograph

Dennis Fire Engine. The side plate reads 'Stradbroke Parish Council' and the vehicle is parked outside Clocky Rose's on New Street. W-166

Firemen at Ease

Firemen with their Fire Engine enjoying a joke.

Fire fighters standing in front of their Fire Engine. - series

Fire fighters standing in front of their Fire Engine. The picture is taken in New Street.

Adding the Fire Device to an Automobile

A group of men studying the attachment of the Fire device to a car.
Getting a horse to the engine house and then towing an engine to a fire took time so towing it by car seemed a good idea. When it became detached during it's first journey and ended in a ditch the idea didn't seem as good. This picture records that first attempt.

Stradbroke Fire Engine from 1843.

Stradbroke Fire Engine circa 1843 standing in New Street. Girling Photograph.

A View from the Church Tower - New Street to The Wilby Road

A view from the Church Tower of New Street towards Wilby Road. Note Town House to the left and The Fire Engine.
Donor IC